Friday, November 23, 2012

Throwback Survey: The Liebster Blog Award


Yesterday, I received a pleasant surprise when, upon reaching the end of Deepa's post, I read that she nominated me for the Liebster Blog Award. Liebster, she wrote, means "favorite" in German and so I'm honored to be part of her list.

Deepa and I are former work colleagues who used to be seated next to each other. (Nung una, dedmahan galore pa kami until ayun, nagbaklaan na din kami eventually, lol.) While I eventually transferred to a different floor, she has since transferred companies and later, countries! We last saw each other almost a year ago at a Christmas dinner, wherein she told me that one of her 2012 goals was to become a mommy. So I was more than thrilled when I heard the news that she and Marlon finally had unprotected sex and were successful at it, LOL!

The nomination comes with 11 questions and "the duty to pass on the award to blogs with a relatively small following." In nominating blogs, I pegged the small ones to those who are not Tavi Gevinson (lol) so I hope you don't take offense.

First, Deepa's questions!

When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be a dentist mainly because our family dentist was cute—I remember him being moreno, hefty in a teddy bear kind of way, and bedimpled. Once, he asked me to assist him; I was so nervous I dropped one of his tools, and that pretty much ended my 'career.'

In 1994, when I was 13, Manila hosted the Miss Universe pageant—that changed my life goals quite a bit, lol.

Although I've always loved writing as a kid, it wasn't until college when I knew my work just HAD to involve the written word.


What’s your favorite thing to have for dessert?

Not sure if they qualify as dessert but tea or coffee are my staple post-meal ritual.

Right now, I'm eating halo-halo from Chowking :-)


Halo-halo



Favorite time of day?

Between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m., when the sun isn't much as a prick as it is in the morning and noon.


Did you ever wish you had a different name? If yes, what name did you secretly want?

My given names are Harold Jason. I hated the former; it didn't roll off my tongue comfortably so I preferred to be called by my second name.

Together, my names mean "The warrior (Harold) who heals (Jason)." It was only when Craig, an American pastor friend of mine, drew parallelism between their meaning and Jesus' work that I truly appreciated my name.


Sea or mountains?

I love the beach; I would love to get married on one someday :-)


Where do you live and what do you like most about living there?

I was born and raised in Mandaluyong City. I'm a short walk away from the Pasig River, which is being rehabilitated by environmental groups. From being toxic, the river is now able to sustain marine life, such that old folks are now able to fish there in the morning. I like the idea that I can measure my city's progress in such terms.


View of Makati from Mandaluyong City


I look forward to the day when the waters become pristine again as they were once described in Jose Rizal's novels.


If you could trade places with anyone for a day, who would it be?

Lately, I've been reading articles on Hillary Clinton and Grace Coddington. To take their place for a day might bring down two great institutions: the US government and Vogue, so I'm wary about having to make important decisions on their behalf.


Name three places at the top of your travel wish list.



Basco, Batanes
Credit: My sister


Batanes, my father's hometown, in the northernmost island of the Philippines. On paper, this should be easy to check off my bucket list, but for some darn reason, I'm always putting it off for next year. Maybe in 2013, who knows.

When my sister went there two years ago, the town—comprised mostly of relatives—literally prepared a feast for her. I'm looking forward to experiencing that as well and rediscovering my roots.

The other two would be Tokyo and (Stockholm) Sweden because from a design standpoint, I love how they both have a strong minimalist culture, and yet, somewhere (I can't exactly pinpoint), they branch off to two different directions/aesthetics. (And hello, the boys.)


Who is your favorite fictional character?

It's a toss-up between Ammu in The God of Small Things and Hatsumomo in Memoirs of a Geisha—two strong and misunderstood women.

What are you reading now?

Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling. At every turn of the page, all I can manage to scream in my head is, "What's the point?! What's the point?!"


What was the last thing you made with your hands?



I considered my gift wrapping such a success, I had to take a photo.


I'm not very good with my hands so aside from letters which I most often don't mail, it must be the gift I wrapped myself for my barkada's annual Christmas Party.

This year, our theme is Zombie Apocalypse. (I know, right?)


* * * * 

I'm nominating:



My questions are:

  • What did your first ever blog look/read like?
  • Go back to your blog entry at this same period last year. What's it about?
  • What is your writing gadget/tool of choice?
  • As a kid, who/what did you hate the most?
  • What/who made you smile the last?
  • Let us hear a good news from you :-)
  • Which actor would play you in a film?
  • Kindly recommend a sexy movie.
  • What fashion tip/grooming product do you most swear by?
  • What should people NOT BUY for you this Christmas?
  • What are you wishing for this Christmas?


Enjoy!





2 * :

Deepa said...


Ang saya diba? Parang 2003 ulit, haha.
As a former Mandaluyong resident, na-touch naman ako sa sagot mo. Sulong Mandaluyong!
Becky's choice talaga si Hatsumomo! Halos lahat ng kilala kong becky, siya ang bet. Come to think of it, I don't even remember the bida's name.

Jason D. said...


LOL. Winner din si Gong Li sa film version!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...