Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Zen of The Muppets

The Muppets (2011)

Rating: 10/10

 

I began watching The Muppets thinking how silly it would be to sit through a two-hour movie with puppets, the kind that are not run by multimillion-dollar animatronics. To start with, I am not a Muppets fan, since I grew up watching Sesame Street. I know little of Kermit the Frog, though I must admit, I am more familiar with Miss Piggy, she who has done fashion editorials for real-world magazines.

The movie has this same strategy of putting together reality and... well, puppets. Eventually, it forces you to drop logic, and consequently, 'seriousness,' and eventually, 'adultness.' I found myself laughing out loud at the most inane propositions involving self-awareness jokes, celebrity cameos and far-left thinking (read: Miss Piggy as the "full-size" editor-in-chief of French Vogue, lol). I found that those challenged me to let go of my jadedness, that part of me which questions and doubts pure intentions; instead, I afforded myself the luxury of sitting back, relaxing, and accepting what is: the Muppets are good people; I trust them.

It was liberating. (On a side note, it made me realize too, how movies and TV––entertainment––contribute to our walls and defenses. We cannot like him, he might be killer. No's she's not really being nice; she needs something from him. Distrust has become a defense and coping mechanism––even while we're 'enjoying' ourselves.)

It was that clarity, when you could take everything at face value, when naiveté was anything but a derisive term, that made me enjoy this film so much. Well, plus, it's seriously funny. I highly recommend it :-)



0 * :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...