Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Goodbye, Hitch

We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of the Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively outnumbers the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.
Richard Dawkins, Unweaving the Rainbow



This quote was included in Christopher Hitchens's biography, Hitch 22. I meant to review the book, but then I realized, how exactly does one critique an autobiography; and second, how dare I. I also have to admit to the fact that I'm intellectually inept to fully comprehend his work. In Tagalog, nosebleed talaga sya, 'teh.

Here's his second to the last article for Vanity Fair, Trial of the Will, wherein he questioned the wisdom of Nietszche's maxim 'What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger' as he reflects on his mortality. (I think VF will be releasing his last column in the January issue.)

And here's one of my all-time faves, which I also blogged about here, The New Commandments:





0 * :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...