Monday, August 22, 2011

My 2011 national costume for Philippines

For the last two years, I've been sketching my own version of the Philippines' national costume for Miss Universe.

In 2009, I did the jeepney.



In 2010, it was the People Power Revolution, which I now realize wouldn't have suited Venus Raj. In fairness, parang kamukha nya si Ms. China this year, lol.



LaterBuddha Banana was kind enough to color and tweak it for me.



This year, I had a difficult time coming up with a concept. I was close to using the UP Pep Squad's 2010 fiesta uniform but I forced myself to come up with something original.

So I got to thinking about the host country, Brazil. That got me thinking about the Brazilian Carnival and how it is celebrated during Lent. That got me thinking about Filipino Holy Week (yes, I considered Politeismo, lol) and then it hit me.


...



Photo: www.inquirer.net

Why not? LOL.








More about the palaspas or palm frond in Michael Tan's article for Inquirer.


2 * :

Katrina said...


may flower talaga sa, er, flower! - iggy

Jason said...


Yes, and red talaga, lol.

Ang di ko magawa is paano ko i-incorporate yung arch nung handle sa costume.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...