Monday, November 01, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

photo: http://www.scholastic.com/

I tried to delay reading the last book of the Harry Potter series as much as I could, but alas, with the release of the first of the two-part installment of the film franchise this month, I had to face the inevitable: my adventure with Harry Potter and his world would have to come to an end.

I have to admit that I wasn't an instant fan of JK Rowling's workthe very first Potter book was juvenile for my tastebut it wasn't difficult to be won over. For us adults, we've seen Harry and his friends grow up before us (including the actors for the movie version, long enough to see one of them, sadly, pass away, and for another to disrobe in public). I find the relationship strange: they're practically the only kids I have an emotional attachment with.

Deathly Hallows is the best book I've read in the series, making it more difficult to part with Potter and friends. I was disheartened by the amount of deaths in its pages, but it were the slivers of determination and hope—when wizards would rally around Harry Potter—that actually got me tearing up. (That line by Mrs. Weasley—I was laughing and crying at the same time; my eyes were red and puffy when I finally turned the book's last page.) Voldemort's rise to power, or the Dark Lord, as he was referred to by his followers, funny (or unfortunate) as it now seems, reminded me of what I know about the Nazis, and I couldn't help but think how JK Rowling's fiction was in fact, real life for the Jewish people during Adolf Hitler's regime. I hope adults would care enough to explain to their children that at one point in our history, "Voldemort" and his "Death Eaters" did reign supreme, and while resistance may have been slow to stop the death of millions, it wasn't just "one Harry Potter" that stood up against them but countries and their governments and citizens.

In the Philippines of course, there was a similar story: not as brutal as the Nazis' but the lives lost, though not the same in number, were no less important.

It is easy to dismiss the battle between good and evil as abstract; but to put it in these contexts, I hope we all see how important it is to choose to be on Harry Potter's side in all matters of life.




7 * :

heyjay said...


Wow. I can't believe you read Deathly Hallows just now. Antaas ng EQ mo ha. :)

It's my favorite among the series, besides Half-Blood Prince. I can't wait for the movie to come out.

Jason said...


That's how much I wanted to delay the ending of my Harry Potter reading experience!

So excited for the movie too :-D I wonder if they're casting famous actors for the epilogue.

jaollibee said...


ako naman nabasa ko siguro Deathly Hallows 5x na. at isa pa ata bago showing ng movie. haha!

at natawa din ako sa piece mo re Tingting's column. :D

Laurene said...


The attachment I have for Rowling's characters is irrational. I'm rereading the whole series, and I can't help noticing the littlest of details. This series will always feel familiar to me.

Jason said...


Jao -- Five times! Ikaw na ang addict! At pagsabihan nyo yang columnist nyo ha, lol!

Laurene -- Ikaw pala si Wednesday dati!!!

heyjay said...


According to HP fansites, they're going to portray themselves in the epilogue. They're gonna use some of that Benjamin Buttons shit, as Michael K would say. hehehe

Jason said...


That does sound better. Thanks for the info!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...