Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The art of writing "thank you"

I've long wanted my own, personal letterpress stationery since Smart Communications once gave me a set of notecards in my inital and name many Christmases ago. (It disappeared from the face of this earth last year and I never found it back.) Unfortunately, I do not know of any local shop that specializes in letterpress stationery, except for those that make wedding invitations, which if aren't tacky, require large orders. The ones I found that are closer to my aesthetic are based in the US, but unlike Tatin, I'm wary of online orders that require international shipping because of our blasted customs and post offices. (Plus, they're really expensive, ranging from US$300 to US$500 for a set of 100 cards.)

While that search is on hold, I'm happy to have found these Thank You notecards by Peter Pauper Press at a local book shop.

First, I love the black- and cream-color combination.

The notecards come with matching envelopes



I'm normally wary of using foreign language in my correspondence (aside from English, naturellement :-P) as I don't want to appear pretentious (aside from the fact that I only have six units of beginner French under my belt; not enough to impress!) but I couldn't resist the beautiful details of this particular design.

From the intricately drawn and embossed Eiffel Tower with gloss highlights,

The gloss appears as smudge in this photo; looks better in person.

and the sweet-sounding brevity of the French word for "Thank you," (The homonymic reference to an apology isn't lost on me; it's as if you're sorry for the trouble the favor had cost the giver, which I find very considerate.)



to the elegant linen finish of the paper,



I can't wait to begin writing my thank-you's. To be safe, I divided my set into two and kept a stash at home and in the office: I can never be sure when I'll need to make an impromptu gratitude note.

How exactly does one write a thank you letter on such limited space as a notecard?

According to this article by Leslie Harpold for The Morning News, you may follow this outline (example is mine):


  • Greet the giver
Dear Momon,

  • Express your gratitude
Thank you so much for giving me a copy of "Take Ivy."



  • Discuss your gift's use
It is a fitting addition to my collection of style books for men;



  • Mention the past, allude to the future


And what an addition to that wonderful surprise you gave me at the end of my birthday dinner. I look forward to celebrating more birthdays with you by my side.


  • Close with grace
You are a gentleman worth emulating.



  • Say your regards
Love,
Jason




Easy, right? Now let's keep the art of letter-writing alive.

____________

Saw this on the TLC's Passport to Europe TV show yesterday: If you happen to be in Paris, mail your postcards and letters at the post office right under the Eiffel Towerthis is so you get that exclusive Eiffel Tower stamp on your envelopes and cards. C'est très magnifique!



10 * :

ms.chelle said...


i still write postcards (better than pasalubong sometimes) and christmas cards :D

there's definitely some magic in handwritten notes and letters that cant be replicated by email or text messages.

Jason said...


I agree! I'm also not a huge fan of Facebook wall greetings :-D

A friend who recently celebrated her birthday only wanted handwritten letters as gift. I thought that made a lot of sense especially for persons who practically have everything.

exchange.ph said...


hey j, on the subject of letters, i'd like to introduce you to one of the sites I've fallen for recently:

http://lettersofnote.com

check out the most read ones, I think you'll like it :)

Jason said...


Thanks Gary! I remember the site for a letter written by Cary Grant, wherein he thanked Levi's for the shirts that were sent his way but weren't to his taste:

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/i-cannot-swagger-out-in-these-shirts.html

Can a man be any suaver?

heyjay said...


Masaya naman kapag maraming bumati sa'yo sa fb wall mo ah. Malungkot ka na lang kapag walang bumati kahit sa fb wall ;)

However, I still prefer sending and receiving handwritten notes, cards, and letters. Mas may puso eh.

Allan Antonio said...


Where did you buy the cards? What other designs are available? Thanks!

Jason said...


Jay -- Kung ang mga messages ay may reference to boomboompow, I suppose masaya nga sya :-P

Hi Allan, I got it at Fully Booked :-)

Allan Antonio said...


Thanks for the info!

Deepa said...


Naturellement? Very Maurice Arcache, dahling. LOL!

The card is lovely, though. And the structure of a thank-you note you've outlined is very helpful. I wrote a few thank-you notes for wedding gifts, but I wasn't quite this thorough.

Jason said...


LOL! Of course, how can I not channel the person responsible for my very first exposure to the French language? :-D

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...