Tuesday, March 09, 2010

The huge, gay, white elephant

Reading The Ethicist's column on the New York Times brought to surface a question I've restrained asking Catholic friends... until now. Before I proceed with the question, I invite everyone to read this particular part of the column:

My wife and I are seeking to adopt a child. The leading Web site that matches adoptive couples with birth mothers forbids same-sex couples to post on its site. We oppose the antigay views of the site’s operators, an expression of their strongly held religious beliefs, but we want to maximize our chances of finding a child. Is it wrong to put our own interests ahead of our broader ethical beliefs? NAME WITHHELD

I sympathize with your desire to start a family and admire your willingness to provide a home for a child who needs one, but I can’t endorse your way of going about it. If the adoption organization refused to allow, say, African-Americans to post on its site, I presume you’d refuse to work with it. If you’d explicitly reject racism, why would you tolerate homophobia? In what sense do you oppose antigay views if your beliefs do not comport with your actions? How would I distinguish you from someone who embraced antigay policies?

If, as you assert, you repudiate the site’s antigay policies, then you should be true to your own values, even at some cost to yourself, and find other adoption organizations to work with.

So here's my question, which I find better framed if I plagiarize The Ethicist:

If the Church discriminates against, say, African-Americans, I presume you'd refuse to be part of it. If you'd explicitly reject racism, why would you tolerate homophobia. In what sense do you oppose antigay views if your beliefs do not comport with your actions? How would I distinguish you from someone who embraced antigay policies?

A counter-argument by a Catholic might be: but being black is not a moral issue.

Then there's the problem. You may not be truly supportive of your gay friends after all.


_______________
This post is not (necessarily) a call-to-action; just a food for thought. I'll still be your ninong in your children's baptisms, attend your Church weddings, and be at your Requiem Masses -- granted I'd still be invited and not barred from attending, lol. 

Updated 03/14/10:
I take it back, this is a call-to-action. Please read: Pack up


6 * :

daredevilry said...


it might not be a question i could ask everyone in the philippines though since racism is not something most people think about here. just my thoughts.

nabasa mo na ba to: http://www.slate.com/id/2246892/pagenum/all/#p2

Jason said...


Yes, probably not prominent in Filipinos' thoughts, but surely, we harbor no racist sentiments (or even think of denying blacks of their rights). We are NBA-crazy after all :-D

Thanks for sharing. As always, the homophobes go to great lengths making up lies and resorting to blackmail to justify their irrational fear and psychoses.

exchange.ph said...


you said 'A counter-argument by a Catholic might be: but being black is not a moral issue.'

however, racism on the other hand, is very much a moral issue. Similar to how a Catholic might say being gay per se is not a moral issue, but their lifestyle (from how I understand their argument) is.

Incidentally I have to disagree re being NBA crazy does not make us racist. As shown in movies, tv and most popular media most people are very, very discriminatory. Just watch any noontime show and you're bound to see something against women, dark - skinned people etc. every so often.

Sigh. Will subscribe to your blog asap.

Jason said...


Thanks Gary! :-D

I wrote that because gay activists argue that if the world can say no to racism, how come we can't do the same to homophobia?

However, homophobes argue that blacks didn't choose to be black (hence, I wrote: "A counter-argument by a Catholic might be: 'but being black is not a moral issue.'" since it's not a choice); whereas gays choose to be gays.

(My counter-argument to this is that straights didn't choose to be straight -- they just are.)

I agree that racism is a moral issue.

Re: Filipinos -- I agree, those are in very poor taste but I'd attribute that to lack of sensitivity than to racist sentiments (arguable but just my personal opinion). I'd still like to think that we won't go as far as deny, say the Aetas, their rights.

exchange.ph said...


gays choose to be gays? Hmm.

Yeah I suppose tama rin yun, as opposed to gays who do not choose to be gay (for whatever reason, usually to avoid the stigma). You'll agree of course, that gays are born gay. But that's splitting hairs.

At any rate, re Filipinos I beg to disagree again LOL, and I understand you may not be aware of this through no fault of your own, simply because you've not had the chance to hang around the same circles.

I'm talking specifically about Pinoy men, especially in sports, where the basest of emotions occasionaly surface giving one a view of who they really are. Certain actions and opinions I've been privy to over the years do not paint a pretty picture. So much so I'm convinced that most of these guys choose to hate. :(

We've a looooooong way to go.

Jason said...


Teka, so you think it's a choice or not?

Re: Pinoy men
OK, I'm just happy not to personally know any of them, hehe.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...