Monday, July 13, 2009

School spirit

Last Sunday, I asked Mon to watch UP Maroon's basketball game at the Araneta Coliseum. We were up against the NU Bulldogs -- I figured it would be a good time to watch it live when our team actually has a chance to win, lol.

Tickets nearest to the court have already been sold-out; I couldn't quite figure out why that would be so when the league's cellar-dwellers are playing, until I remembered that Ateneo and FEU are scheduled for the second match. It was amazing how Ateneo students and fans have turned up for the event -- they were all early and dressed up in blue. They really take their basketball seriously, those Ateneans.

Inside Araneta, I found it amusing that the UP and Ateneo crowd naturally converged on one side while those of NU and FEU were on the other. Not saying anything; just stating a fact :-P We were also fortunate enough to be seated beside two Ateneo chicks who know the UP cheers.

The first quarter was promising -- UP led by as much as 12 points. Then it went downhill from there. The Maroons were flailing about wildly -- passing the ball to NU players; throwing it into the air and out of bounds; dribbling miserably; doing amazing passes behind one's back and neck but with miserable results... at that point, I bought popcorn just keep myself from saying dirty words.

We lost. To NU. Lol.

Thankfully, the UP Pep Squad saved the day during its halftime performance:



We tried to stay around for the Ateneo and FEU match but I just couldn't bring myself to deeply root for either team. In any case, it was a bit lopsided (much like the UP-NU match), as Ateneo clearly outclassed the FEU players.


0 * :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...