Thursday, July 16, 2009

At 26

On Sunday, I posted a video of the UP Pep Squad on YouTube. It is the same video included in my entry preceding this.

Now, I understand that the UP Pep Squad has both fans and detractors; in fact, all UAAP schools' cheerdance representatives do, as evident in the rabid exchanges in PinoyExchange threads such as this one: Road to the 2009 UAAP-CDC (CheerDance Competition). (Yes, those kids are supposed to be students and alumni of relatively good schools. Clearly, we can't put all the blame on Arroyo as to why this country is going downhill.)

My YouTube post has been getting comments, which I either delete or retain. Simply because I can't stand inane feedback such as this one left by a certain user, yourtl:

obserbasyon lang, bat ang katawan ng mga UP Pep parang mga nanay na at mosty ang face parang tiyahin ng ibang pep squads? harharhar


His age is listed as 26.

Let's put things in perspective. Jose Rizal wrote Noli Me Tangere when he was three months shy of 26. He was an ophthalmologist, sculptor, painter, educator, farmer, historian, playwright and journalist -- I suspect (with good reason), all before he was age 26. Granted Rizal is not exactly a standard 90 percent of the world's population can ever measure up to, but let's just say that at 26, our society and the Philippines already expect a lot from you.


4 * :

auee said...


Nakakalungkot 'no? :-(

The really sad part is that attitude carries on to "real" adulthood. I joined LinkedIn recently & been meaning to blog about this ha. I joined a UP network & guuulllaaayy there was this almighty-guy na panay criticize sa mods, then the forum turned into paligsahan nang credentials up to discussion nang grammar... It was painful to read.

Jason said...


wow, that's even sadder than PEX and the 26-year-old.

Deepa said...


PEx! I haven't been there in years. The PEP comment section is also quite sad.

Jason said...


I can't stand the comments in PEP!!! Buti na lang may hide function.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...