Monday, January 19, 2009

PPA

I received a text message this afternoon cautioning me from taking local nasal decongestant medicine brands because they contain phenylpropanolamine (PPA for short), which is linked to increased hemorrhagic stroke. I am one to diligently make sure such messages are correct before forwarding them so I made a quick search on the Internet.

From the FDA website:
Scientists at Yale University School of Medicine recently issued a report entitled "Phenylpropanolamine & Risk of Hemorrhagic Stroke: Final Report of the Hemorrhagic Stroke Project." This study reports that taking PPA increases the risk of hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding into the brain or into tissue surrounding the brain) in women. Men may also be at risk. Although the risk of hemorrhagic stroke is very low, FDA recommends that consumers not use any products that contain PPA.

The brands mentioned in the text message included Neozep and Bioflu and I'm fuming mad as I type this because I regularly take Neozep since I always catch a cold, and Bioflu whenever I have the flu (aside from the fact that this warning had been released as far as 8 years ago). Unilab's website lists the ingredient in both brands: Neozep and Bioflu.

I've no time to check whether the other brands mentioned contain PPA so do leave a comment if these don't contain the ingredient any longer:

  • Alkaseltzer
  • Dimetapp
  • Robitussin
  • Dexatrim
  • Bioflu
  • Neozep
  • Sinutab
  • Decolgen
Thanks.

Update: Rochelle comments: "Unilab has already changed the PPA content of Neozep, Bioflu and Decolgen to Phenylprine."




1 * :

Rochelle said...


unilab has already changed the PPA content of neozep, bioflu and decolgen to phenylprine.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...