Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The City

This has been my guilty pleasure for the last two weeks:

from my Facebook


MTV's reality show The City follows the life of Whitney who recently moved from Los Angeles to New York city to intern for Diane Von Furstenberg. Whitney used to be with The Hills, which was the sequel to Laguna Beach. I used to watch Laguna Beach regularly until the cast became irritating; I never bothered watching The Hills. That all changed when I decided to give City's pilot episode a shot and I found myself getting hooked.

Aside from Whitney, the camera follows around her best friend, Erin; romantic interest, Jay, he with the fluffiest, shiniest and healthiest hair it almost hurts; and my "favorite," the rising antagonist, Olivia. Olivia is young, rich and pretty. Pretty catty as well. Consider last week's episode when she and Olivia met with Manolo Blahnik for an autograph signing:
Whitney: (as Manolo autographs her new pair of shoes) This is my first pair of Manolos.

Manolo: It won't be the last, believe me.

Olivia: (interjects with no one asking her) My first pair was I think, when I was 17 for my dey-bah (that's "debut" for us plebeians).

Manolo's assistant, who is just next by, is caught by the camera rolling her eyes, lol.

Olivia also looks so... so sex-starved. Whenever Whitney mentions Jay to her, she gets this famished and envious look on her; she's so transparent!

So yes, the show is shallow and vapid but I'm entertained by it. I rarely get that in local TV, wherein if it's shallow and vapid, then it's irritating (e.g., Lipgloss).



8 * :

Shan Abellaneda said...


stumbled on your blog thru my friends blog (buggering about).. nice blog! :-)

Jason said...


ey thanks, shan! glad you enjoyed reading it :-) hope we both get to keep our NY resolutions :-)

topdog said...


You should watch The Hills. It's really good.

Jason said...


really? medyo asar kasi ko sa mukha nila heidi & spencer lol pero sige, i'll try watching a few episodes :-)

Shan Abellaneda said...


Jason - by the way, i've read in ur blog that u hate plagiarism, being a writer urself, so id like to thank u & let u know that i got the idea from ur blog on using "the secret-present tense" for my new year's resolutions hehe :-)

Jason said...


ey no worries! i got the idea from the secret too :-)

WikiPika said...


Ganda ba? The ratings were poor but it may be just the holidays. I wish it will be as big as the hills.

Jason said...


yeah, i like it -- it's not that exciting yet, but enough to keep me riveted :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...